Thursday, May 27, 2010

I'm Not Surprised

A gay couple came into work today. I work at a wedding invitation store inside a mall in the heart of Happy Valley, Utah. I'm pretty sure it's the most conservative county in the world. So much so that 90% of the time 90% of the people here make me want to tear my hair out.

After a few basic questions, one of the men said, "I'm going to be blunt. The invites are for us. Would you guys do that for us?" I was so shocked by the question!

"I don't see why not."
"Well, we've had some problems in the past. Some people wouldn't print them for us."

Although I belong to a Church that honors the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, I personally believe that someone's sexuality is none of my business. Basically, live and let live. Although I don't agree with homosexuality from a moral and personal standpoint, I believe that people should not be persecuted for choices that do not affect me personally. A gay wedding invitation will not affect my personal salvation. I am not shocked, but upset, that certain stores in Utah Valley have refused these men service. Although they may not agree with their choice to essentially be married, stores refusing to print invitations for the ceremony seems a lot not their business.

I guess Prop 8 is all about this issue, and I opposed gay marriage then. But seeing it in person makes my heart hurt. My soul believes one thing and my sympathy believe another. Maybe it's not so much about opposing or advocating something. I think it's more about common courtesy and humanity. Give the boys their invitations, I say! That is their choice to make.
Pin It!

4 comments:

__ said...

"Maybe it's not so much about opposing or advocating something. I think it's more about common courtesy and humanity."

Beautifully said.

Kristen said...

I agree so much with this. No matter what we believe about marriage, we should 100% defend everyone's agency to choose what they will. Madison County (AKA Rexburg) has the highest concentration of conservatives in the entire nation! I feel your pain/hair-tearing urges.

brittna said...

Uggggggggghhhh

Evangeline said...

Really well said! I admire that you are able to respect their sexuality and their choice to get married although it goes against your beliefs. The line that Sarah quoted is beautiful. Your true acceptance and respect seems much more Christian to me than those who identify in the same way but would deny those men service because of their sexuality.I wish more people were able to see this the way you do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...