Monday, February 9, 2009

Why do I want to be an art teacher?

I'm in a Foundations of Art Education class that has an online forum for the students to respond to prompts. Our teacher, Dan Barney, has interesting questions, and I wanted to remember what I wrote, so I'm posting it here.

Question: What kind of teacher do I want to be? What are the traits I want to possess? What do I need to remember?

Answer: I want to be the kind of teacher who is respected enough to listen to, but laid-back enough to let the kids create on their own. I want to run a classroom that doesn't have to be disciplined all the time. I want to be able to grow with my kids as they learn. I want act in a way that shows that I love what I do and care about my students' well-being. I want to show my students that you don't have to be a "typical" artist to be good at it, that you can have your own personality that may stray from what most artists think you should be. I want to enjoy my job, expand creativity, and try new thing so I never get stale.

Question: Why Art? What is so cool about art? Why are we making this our vocation and are avocation?

Answer: Why art? Because every time I create something, I find out more about myself that I never fully realized. I learned so much from my art teacher growing up (I had the same one for eight years), that I want to make that kind of a difference in another child's life, if even on a smaller scale. Art, like books or movies, can transcend time, and take you to another place. It is a form of escape and a path to discovery.

I hope that when I have been a teacher for a few years, that I can look back on this response and be proud of what I have become. I have a feeling that at some point I will become jaded. I will start to hate the realities of my job, and I hope this reminds me why I started in the first place. We'll see what happens...
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...