Saturday, December 19, 2015

Things That Helped Me Lose 45 Lbs

When I look in the mirror I still see weight that needs to be lost. I compare myself to the skinniest version of myself, which was in high school. That's not fair to anyone. Who the hell expects to have the same priorities, goals and lifestyle of a 16 year old? That's cray, Kellie. 27 is way better than 16, anyway. 

I have to remind myself that 45 lbs lost is a big deal. I don't claim to be perfect. You have to do what's right for you, but here's what has helped me lose it.

Supplements - After researching about all the hormone imbalances and vitamin deficiencies that come with having PCOS, I started taking hella supplements. Like...a lot of supplements, guys. I know supplements don't really make up for a crappy diet, so I also try to eat healthier. But they have really made me feel more energetic, mentally sound and healthy. For PCOS, I take vitamin D, magnesium, a multivitamin, a probiotic, cinnamon, turmeric, vitex, and fish oil. And metformin. 

Therapy - I don't actually go to therapy. Maybe I should. Maybe everyone should. But talking about my weight issues on FB, on this blog, and with friends/family has really helped me deal with the underlying issues behind my weight. I don't talk about it all the time, but it's nice to write in the blog. People who care ask me about it in person and that's really nice. 

Yoga/Meditation - I lost most of the weight running, to be honest. But yoga teaches you to set intentions for the day (in my case, the week). That little ritual has helped me stay focused on my goal, even when my running has waned. Plus, it's a great time to unwind, meditate, and strengthen your body. Yoga = love, guys. Try it. Plus you get to lay still for like 5 minutes at the end. Heller??? Best workout ever.

Running - Yup. You have to put in the miles. Sorry. But the endorphins? Amazing. 

Counting Calories - I don't fully believe that calories in/calories out stuff is 100% the reason behind weight loss. But it's a big deal. Eat good calories, and burn more than you eat. 

The Snap - I knew I had to lose weight a long time ago. But I really had to have what I call The Snap happen in my brain. I had to snap into that place where I was really, really ready to change. If your head's not in the game, you're not going to lose any weight (or keep it off). How do you get The Snap? You have to have a really really good reason to change, and an understanding that you can do it. And then you have to put in the work and give yourself some slack when you mess up. And then you keep going. My reason? To get pregnant. 

Love - Love for myself. Love for my future. Love for my husband. Love for my body. Love for my future kids. Love also means having compassion on yourself when you slip. And self-care.

What helps you stay healthy?

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...