Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Benefits of Grapefruits and Flying










Rarely do I let myself just be.

Sometimes on the treadmill, I don't turn the tv on. Does that count? 

But basically, if I have free time, and I'm in a position to do so, I usually have something in my hands... or, most often, my brain is racing. I just can't seem to ever turn it off. I love reading, (trying to) plan the future, reflecting on life and how I can make it better, and wondering what time The Kardashians is on next. It never turns off. 

This morning I woke up to rain. I decided to work from home, so I embraced my soft bed for a few more minutes before getting up. Since I've been busy keeping our apartment spotless for showings, and working, I haven't even thought about going to the store. In the bottom of the fridge I discovered a fresh, forgotten grapefruit. 

Oh, grapefruit. You used to taste like armpit, and now I love you.

Have I told you about my journey with food I don't like? I'm trying to be an adult and eat healthier. As a kid I was so picky my parents probably didn't know what to do with me. At 24, I have decided to suck it up and re-program the way I feel about food. That basically means that I have forced myself to eat healthy foods I don't like so many times that they taste normal or even good to my palette. Grapefruits, bananas, and zucchini are all on that list. Salad, fish (working on it), cherry tomatoes and beans also made the cut. 

Grapefruit is one of those things that requires all your faculties to eat. You've got to concentrate or you'll cut yourself, and not using two hands is out of the question. No texting, no Facebook, just grapefruit. 

What normally would be a breakfast of one-hand-eating and other-hand-texting turned into a two-handed grapefruit extravaganza. I just sat in my apartment on my comfy "new" couch, with my little lamp on, in my pajamas, silently eating. I was so happy.

The same thing goes for planes. No amount of flirting can save your technology, and then you're forced to either people watch or read a book (two things I love, anyway).

Sometimes it's nice to slow down. Who knew you could have an existential experience with a grapefruit?


Pin It!

1 comment:

Krisanne said...

So simple, beautiful, and Zen. Who knew a grapefruit could inspire such profundity? I feel exactly the same way about traveling via airplane--I am forced to sit and read (and have no opportunity to incessantly check my phone). It's bliss.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...