Thursday, March 21, 2013

How To Fight A Cold Like The Avengers



...from all sides.

Guys. I haven't been sick in months. It was getting to the point where I felt like I had won the lottery, and then I think that jinxed my body into getting sick. 

If you know me at all, the fact that I wasn't sick for months and months at a time is basically a Christmas Miracle. Growing up, I missed a lot of school for basically every kind of sickness you could think of. I was just that kid. My first year of teaching, I brought home bugs from all over the state. Since I have been trying to eat healthier and take care of my body, and am in my second year of teaching, I rarely get sick...until this week. 

I have found a lot of natural at-home remedies to fight the common cold that have really sped up my recovery. Some of you might have learned this 20 years ago, but I'm pretty new to the home-remedy game. My idea of speeding up the recovery process consisted of a lot of medicine and even more sleep. So if you already know this, keep on scrolling. Hopefully this will help someone.

Here is a list of 7 weird things I have done at least daily since I started feeling sick:

1. DETOX BATH: Then sit in the shower with the hottest water possible for 10 minutes after that.

2. MAGIC SOCKS: Right after the bath, wet a pair of cotton socks in cool water, then wring out until they're just damp (not soaking). Put them on your feel, then put a pair of dry wool socks over them. Go lay in bed. Apparently the combination revs up your immune system. 

3. GREEN SMOOTHIE: I already had green smoothie freezer packs on hand and have been drinking them for breakfast. Just mix up a bunch of fruits in a blender with spinach, water and ice. No milk.

4. SLEEPING POSITION: I usually sleep on my stomach, but sleeping on your back with a thick pillow when you're sick helps keep your head clear of mucus. This lowers the number of times you have to wake up in the night to blow your nose. 

5. HEALTH SHOTS: Try to get as many nutrients into your body as you can. I started doing shots of v8 juice mixed with Bolthouse Farms green smoothie chased with a drink of water. The shot glass makes it fun and bearable, the green smoothie has a lot of good nutrients and covers up the yucky v8 taste, and the v8 packs in more veggies. 

6. WATER: You know this one. But seriously...drink soooooo much water. Drink it until you feel like your stomach might explode. Have a glass of water by your bed, and keep filling it up when it gets empty. Carry that glass of water around like you're in the Sahara Desert. That cup is now your best friend until you get better. 

7. MONSTER TEA: I drink this gross concoction because it really has helped me feel better, but it's disgusting. Just suck it up. It'll help. 

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup water
a few dashes of ginger 

Heat it up and down it as fast as you can. Don't focus too much on the taste, and keep a glass of water nearby to get the taste out of your mouth when you're done. 

Doing these 7 things plus the normal fixes like medicine and rest will help you recover faster. Hope you feel better! 

Pin It!

1 comment:

Krisanne said...

How to fight a cold like the Avengers: Call Robert Downey Jr. over to make it all better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...