Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 23rd: Santa Croce

We didn't have class today! Hallelujiah! I planned on sleeping in, but my body woke itself up at 8 freaking 30. Buh. I worked on my project a bit at Kelsey's, we ate some lunch and got delicious things like orgasmic Oreos, sour straws, and fresh baguette at Standa (the supermarket). Then we went exploring with Jessie. We went to Santa Croce, a nearby church. I didn't realize it was 5 euros, and I almost didn't go in. I'm so glad I did. It was really simple in comparison to the other cathedrals we've been to, but beautiful in its simplicity. Plus a bunch of really cool dead people are buried there, like Michelangelo, Dante, Galileo, Macchiaveli, Ghiberti, and some others. So cool! Also they had a really neat exhibit in the courtyard of old type, like 100 year old newspapers, and prints cut out of stone. I'm really glad I spent that 5 euros. I've been spending a lot of money, but I figure it's all worth it to get the experience. Imagine if I hadn't spent those 5 euros and just sat outside. Also I cut back on frivolous things like a 13 euro cover charge to get into a club to go dancing, which is what a lot of kids did tonight. They would have gotten back at like 4am and we have to be at the bus station ( a 20 minute walk) at 645 tomorrow morning! No thank you! I'd rather not spend the money and be happy tomorrow.


I had dinner on the terrace with my roommates and Amber. We had delicious bacon and vegetable omelettes. And strawberry milk and gelatto for dessert! There's a 1 euro place nearby, and we ended up seeing like ten people from study abroad there. It's so addicting. Then I went to the internet cafe with Clarke, Amber, Kelsey and Jessie. I got to talk to Matt, Wistie and Jeannette. So happy. Matt sounds so much better. I think he just mixed up doses of some antibiotics he was supposed to take. I'm so glad. It was nice to hear Wistie's voice. I miss her in my life. Jeannette says we're codependent and I don't care who knows it! I'll be glad when we live in the same city again. I talked to Jeannette for FOREVER. I forgot how much I missed our two hour long phone conversations. I really don't know what I'd do without Jeannette in my life. I'm so lucky to have great people as friends and family.


I ended up going to Alexis' apartment to finish watching Finding Nemo with my roommates. Such a good movie. Alexis was painting in the loft, and I had to fart really bad. She told me not to stink it up (Um, she was using turpentine to paint, and that's TOXIC). She didn't even have to open the windows until I farted! I didn't smell it...so I just opened the teeny window that went out to the courtyard and sat there and farted out the window. I was just being me, but she laughed so hard she was crying. It's nice to know that being myself makes some people laugh once in a while. 


Tomorrow we are going to San Geminiano (spelling?). James planned a side trip and a ton of people are going. So even though it's not official, it should be really fun. Apparently its a medieval town? I don't know anything about it, but I'm excited to get out of Florence again. I hope the early start won't throw me off.


Oh, and I bought tons of souvenirs today. I hope you're already for a present feast when I get back. Also since we don't have dryers, my clothes don't get tight like they usually do. Therefore I can't tell if I'm staying the same, getting fat, or losing weight. If I gain weight, I'll go back to the states and my clothes will all magically be small since they're so stretched out here. It will be a miracle if they don't...BUH.


Love, Kellie


P.S. I am now officially on a first name basis with the internet cafe owner. His name is Hassan and he is really really nice. I think he can't help but listen in on my conversations, so he probably knows a ton more about me than I do about him. Next time I go I think I'll take a picture with him.


Also, the shop owner next to the internet cafe is so cool. He designs all his t-shirts and screen prints them. Amber is friends with him and one day she was in there looking around, and he just asked her to borrow her scarf for two days. Since she has two on accident, she said sure. I walked by the next day and he was totally wearing it! It was so awesome. I'm pretty sure he has no intention of ever giving it back. His name is Giovanni and every time I see him I want to call him Guisseppe. I did on accident once and I think he got confused. "Ciao, Giovanni!"

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...